News Opinion Features Business Sports

Scientific research to boost fish industry
by Chittaranjan de Silva

A team of scientists from the Industrial Technology Institute (ITI), in a bid to boost the local fish industry is exploring hygienic processing practices for dry and maldive fish and also the possibility of developing more value added products from fish.

Fish is the main source of protein of almost 65% of the population in Sri Lanka. The research work into fish processing comes at a crucial time when the government is hoping to increase domestic fish supply by improving inland fisheries. The research into fish products will provide the people with a cheap source of protein while generating income and employment for the rural communities, according to the ITI.

Out of Sri Lanka’s fish consumption in 1998 of 310,215 tonnes, imports amounted to 77,047 tonnes.

A huge 82% of imports are dry fish imports which are mainly due to a decline in the domestic production in the North-East of the country due to the war.

Research into dry fish and other fish products would enable the country to become self sufficient in fish and its related products, ITI sources said.

The team of scientists from ITI, formerly the CISIR, who conducted research into fish products was led by Dr. Yasmina Sultanbawa and assisted by Mrs. Sriyani Rajapakse and Mr. Pubudu Perera.

The team, that visited fish collecting centres in Negombo, Beruwala, Kalutara and Matara and the St. John’s market in Colombo have conducted laboratory experiments and gathered data on collected samples of fish.

According to ITI, several novel fish products have been developed through these experiments.

These products which were developed out of fish ranged from sausages, pickles, sauces and snacks, soups, jaadi, smoked and dried fish, ambulthiyal, and animal feed prepared from fish waste.

Some of these products were prepared at the request of the Ceylon Fisheries Corporation (CFC), ITI sources said.

The fish products that were developed were later exhibited during the "Deevara Janashakthi 1999" exhibitions which were held in Moratuwa and Negombo. ITI sources said that products that were developed on CFC’s request were later handed over to the ambulthiyal manufacturing factory at Kalametiya.

Processing fish waste
Processing fish waste such as head, viscera and fins, which cause severe environmental pollution, is considered important in tackling the problem at fish collecting centres such as Negombo.

The fish waste is either thrown into the sea or buried and this is an environmental hazard, not only in Negombo but also at all fish collecting centres in the country.

The ITI realising the value of fish waste has developed low cost animal feed for pigs, poultry, cattle and fish after conducting several studies on fish waste.

The products are being tested at present before introduction into the market, ITI sources said.

New fish processing laboratory

As a result of the close association the Fisheries Corporation’s officials have with the researchers of the ITI engaged in the fish industry, the corporation has agreed to set up a fish processing laboratory at the institute.

According to ITI sources the construction work on the laboratory is to commence shortly.

The expertise the ITI has now acquired in quality enhanced value added products from fish, is now being used in workshops in the production of dry and maldive fish.

Future research
Researchers at ITI, are planning to conduct research in future on the development of under — utilised fish species, like Tilapia and the introduction of traditional Japanese seafood products such as ‘Surimi’ and ‘Kamaboko’ to the local market.

These steps, once introduced, will increase the demand for fish and fish products in the country, researchers said.

According to them, safe products could be introduced to consumers by introducing the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control (HACCP) system to the country.

The ITI has undertaken to assist the fish processing industry with respect to new product development, sensory and shelf-life studies and quality assurance and trouble shooting.

Market trials for clients will be undertaken for those interested in studying the market before production.

The ITI will also transfer the technology of all its products available for transfer.

Anagarika Dharmapala: A life dedicated to the cause of Buddhism
by Kawatte Siri Sumedha Thero

(Continued from yesterday)

Again from 1902 to 1904, the Anagarika toured Japan, America, London, Holland, Denmark and Italy preaching the noble Dhamma of the Sakyamuni Buddha and collecting funds to develop Buddha Gaya, Sarnath and other places of Buddhist interest. When in America and England he visited industrial schools to gain awareness on subjects taught and practical classes.

In April 1904 he visited Colombo and in July returned to Sarnath and started an Industrial school for the benefit of the youth.

The Maha Bodhi journal, which was started in May 1902 was very much popular at this time and it had a fair circulation in India and abroad. In addition to the journal and other publications on Buddhism the Anagarika initiated starting Pali classes at the Calcutta University. This was a major step towards propagating Buddhism.

From May, 1906, he visited Colombo several times and started the "Sinhala Bauddhaya" and the Maha Bodhi printing press, schools in Hiniduma, down south and Rajagiriya near Colombo. For these, funds were donated by Mrs. Forster of Honolulu.

In 1907, there were some set backs in the Buddha Gaya Temple case, but still the Anagarika continued his legal battle with courage and confidence.

Mrs. Mary Foster, having expressed satisfaction on the noble work started by the Anagarika, donated funds to purchase a property in Calcutta to house the Maha Bodhi Society. Accordingly a house at Beniapukur lane, in Central Calcutta was purchased in July 1908.

From 1912 to 1915, the Anagarika spent most of his time in Sri Lanka. He started a National Revival Movement and travelled all over the island arousing national feelings among Sinhala Buddhists. He travelled by bullock cart from village to village expressing antiimperialistic ideas and opinions. At this time he became a national hero. He was named as the "Lion of Lanka" by his countrymen.

During this period he started Foster Robinson Hospital and Maha Bodhi College at Mallika Santhagara at Darly lane, Colombo.

In 1915 May, there was "Ceylon Riots", between Sinhaless and Muslims. It was just one year after the war broke out in Europe.

The British authorities in Sri Lanka having come to know the strong Sinhala- Buddhist feelings among Hewawitharana family decided "desolve" its strength. They arrested the Anagarika’s younger brother Edmund, tried him by Court Martial for treason, found him guilty and sentenced him to penal servitude for life. Later he died inside the jail.

The Anagarika Dharmapala was adviced to proceed to India immediately in view of avoiding arrest by the British-rulers in Sri Lanka. But when he came to Calcutta he was kept under house arrest for five years on the request of the British authorities.

This period of five years he utilised for a better purpose. It was to built the Dharmarajika Vihara in Calcutta. Secretary.

In 1915, the Maha Bodhi Society of India became a registered body. (No. S/2666/61 of 1915-16). A Governing Body was formed with Sir Ashutosh Mookherjee, the Chief Justice of the High Court Calcutta and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calcutta and real builder of the edifice of higher education in India as President.

Anagarika Dharmapala was elected the General Secretary.

In the month of July 1915 he purchased a land at College Street, Calcutta. When the Govt. of India announced its desire to present a sacred Relic of the Sakyamuni Buddha to the Maha Bodhi Society if the latter would built a suitable temple in Calcutta, the Anagarika agreed with the proposal and started erecting the Vihara at College Street in July 1918. Foundation stone was laid on the 6th December.

The construction of the Vihara was completed in 1920. The main donor to the Vihara fund was Mrs. Mary Foster, the "Foster Mother" of the Anagarika. She contributed a total amount of Rs 63,606 and the Maharaja of Baroda contributed Rs 5,685. Ms. Birla brothers also contributed a sum of Rs 5000 towards the Vihara fund.

Sri Dharmarajika Vihara was opened on the 20th of November 1920 at an impressive ceremony.

Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee, the president of the Maha Bodhi Society of India along with Anagarika Dharmapala and Mrs. Annie Besant arrived at the Government House followed by a colourful procession consisting of Burmese, Sinhaless, Chinese, Japanese, Siamese and Indian Buddhist monks and a concourse of about two thousand people. His Excellency Lord Ronaldshay, the Governer of Bengal handed over the Relic of Sakyamuni Buddha contained in a crystal casket to Sri Ashutosh Mukherjee. He handed over the same to Anagarika Dharmapala who placed the casket on the throne placed in a carriage draw by six horses. The procession returned to Dharmarajika Vihara and the Relic was enshrined in the specially prepared stupa.

In the evening the opening ceremony of the Vihara was held under the presidentship of Lord Ronaldshay in the presence of a distinguished gathering.

With this, Anagarika Dharmapala’s long cherished desire for building a suitable Vihara in Calcutta, where he used as the centre of his activities was at last fulfilled.

In 1922 the British released him from his "confinement to Calcutta city" and allowed him to go out of India. Also, Devapriya Valisinghe, the Anagarika’s chief disciple, by this time worked hard to realise the aspirations of his master.

While attending the construction work of the Dharmarajika Vihara, both the Anagarika and Devapriya Valisinghe started negotiations with the Archaeological authorities and the British officials to obtain a plot of land to build a temple in Sarnath. Where the Buddha preached his First Sermon. The land which was purchased in 1901 by the Anagarika was under dispute. However, they managed to obtain a plot of land to build a temple.

On June 30th, 1916, the Government of India through the Government of Bengal (By latter no. 1022 of 31st July 1916, Gen. Dept, Miscell. Branch) informed the Maha Bodhi Society that the Government of India was prepared to present a Relic of the Sakyamuni Buddha to the Society, if the Society would erect a suitable building for a temple at Sarnath.

On account of the unfavourable state of affairs then prevailing due to the war, the Society was unable to begin the construction work of the proposed temple.

In 1920 things came to a normality, and the Society decided to erect the Vihara on the Society’s land. But even with the letter in hand sent by the Govt. of India proposing to build a temple to enshrine the Relics of the Sakyamuni Buddha, the Society had to undergo a lot of difficulties in getting the final approval. There were a lot of disputes between the Society and the Government authorities. Devapriya Valisinghe, the personal disciple of Anagarika Dharmapala faced all these with confidence.

On the 3rd November 1922 the foundation stone of the Vihara was laid by His Excellency Sir Harcourt Butler, the Governer of the United Provinces.

Soon after the foundation stone laying ceremony for Mulagandhakuty Vihara, Sarnath, it was decided to take up the revival of Buddhist activities there in right earnest. Ven. Kumbalwelle Siriniwasa Thero became the resident monk in Sarnath. Devapriya Valsinghe who took over the maintaining the society’s institutions and activities in India from his master visited Sarnath frequently to supervice the work of the temple.

While the construction work of the temple was in progress, it was again stopped by the archaeological department. It was a challenge to the Society and Dr. Hewawitharana, brother of Anagarika Dharmapala along with Shri Devapriya Valisinghe went all the way to Taxila to meet Sir John Marshal, who gave them a sympathetic hearing.

The dispute between the Government and the Society was settled in 1926 by the Government (1) agreeing to bear the cost incurred in connection with the foundation work and (2) offering a suitable plot of land for the proposed Vihara.

The Government was generous to set apart nearly 20 acres of land and to bear the cost for laying it out as a park, which would be an annexe to the Vihara, with suitable tress, planted therein.

The construction work of the temple started again with funds provided by Mrs. Mary Foster, parents of the Anagarika, his brothers and several wellwishers from India and abroad.

As Devapriya Valisinghe was away in England attending the London Buddhist Mission work, as its manager, Mr. P. P. Siriwardhana, another disciple of the Anagarika looked after the work of the temple.

During this period Anagarika Dharmapala visited Sri Lanka and restarted the "Sinhala Bauddhaya" which was suspended in 1915 during the riot period.

In 1923 Mary Foster Permanent Fund was established with a capital of US dollars 50,000.

From 1925 to 1927, the Anagarika toured England, America, and Sri Lanka several times. It was during this period London Buddhist Mission was established. In 1926 July, permanent head quarters of the London Buddhist Mission was established at the Foster House, London, which was purchased from the money received from the firm of "H. Don Carolis", the trustees of the Anagarika’s father’s estate and the personal gift from Mrs. Mary Foster. According to records available Anagarika Dharmapala visited London again towards the end of 1927 with funds sufficient for the purchase of another house for a Vihara in Regent’s Park. Same year he sent three Sinhalese Buddhist monks, Ven. Parawahara Vajiragnana, Ven. Hegoda Nandasara and Ven. Dehigaspe Pannasara Theros to London "to keep burning in England the lamp of the Sublime Law".

It is worthwhile mentioning that Mahatma Gandhi father of the nation participated in the Vaisakha Celebrations in Calcutta in 1927 on the invitation of Shri Devapriya Valisinghe.

From the end of 1927 to 1931 Anagarika Dharmapala was confined to bed with stomach trouble and heart disease but planned the future of the Maha Bodhi Society and the work at Sarnath.

The death of Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Foster, the Hawaian Lady from Honolullu, on the 19th of December 1930 came as a shock to the Anagarika. She was his "Foster mother". She generously contributed to Anagarika Dharmapala’s noble work. It was she who made the first donation towards the construction of the Mulagandhakuty Vihara as well as Sri Dharmarajika Vihara in Calcutta. Whenever the Anagarika was in need of financial assistance for his Buddhist revival work it was Mrs. Foster that helped him with absolute confidence.

Continued tomorrow

S. C. Shirley Corea

Shirley Corea of Chilaw was a well-known figure not only in the land he was born but all over the world. Shirley to most and Shirley "Hamu" to the rest; born on March 7, 1906 to the State Councillor late C. E. Corea and May Queeni Corea of Edirilla Walauwe, Chilaw.

Mr. Corea was educated at S. Thomas’ College, Mt. Lavinia and Royal College, Colombo. He joined the Ceylon Law College and passed out as a Proctor of the Supreme Court of Ceylon in 1932. Be stabilised his practice in Chilaw and extended his much sought legal carrier in Kuliyapitiya, Puttalam, Anuradhapura, Mannar, Vavuniya and Maho; once he was retained in a case to defend late Mr. Eddi Jayamanne and the rest of artists in a Madras Court. He was a well known trial lawyer.

His distinguished law carrier was disturbed in 1952 when the constituents of Chilaw made a request to him to contest the Chilaw Parliamentary "eat on the U.N.P. Ticket; Mr. Corea did successfully and he was appointed the Parliamentary Secretary (Junior Minister) to late R.G. Senanayake, Minister of Trade Commerce and Fisheries, on Mr. Senanayake’s resignation, Mr. Corea was appointed the Minister of Trade Commerce and Fisheries by late Sir John Kotalawela, Prime Minister.

Mr. Corea was re-elected to Chilaw seat in the House of Representatives in 1965 and appointed the Deputy Speaker and the Chairman of Committees in the Dudley Senanayake government and was elected Speaker in 1967.

Mr. Corea has done many development work in his electorate; he always gape priority to Society and not for the particular individual, in Chilaw electorate Yoda-Ela Scheme in Karawita, Sengal-Oya Scheme; development of Karukupone and Udappuwa fishing villages; Transport Services; Education; Health are the few priorities he had.

Chilaw Bauddha Mandiraya would not have been, if not for Mr. Corea’s afforts, there were a lot of obstructions from Judges, lawyers and many others as this building is just adjecent to the District Court of Chilaw, but Mr. Corea was successful and laid the foundation by late William Gopallawa, Governor General of Ceylon; for this act Dr. A. D. V. Premaratne; Messrs. Sirisena Weerasuriya, Sirisoma and N. M. Gnanalankara gave their utmost support to him to make this venture a success; it is also unforgetable the services he rendered to the Ananda College of Chilaw.

Mr. Corea was also the Patron of Chilaw District Boy Scout Local Association and in many other social service organisation.

He was the Chairman of Chilaw Puttalam Planters’ Association, Chilaw Negombo Rotary Club and many times, the President of Chilaw Sports Club, Commonwealth Association, a delegate to the World Peace Through the Rule of Law and President of Law Society of Ceylon. Mr. Gorea was a very close associate of Asia Foundation during the time, representative in Sri Lanka Mr. James H. Nayes and obtained much assistance to his electorate.

As a devoted Christian Mr. Corea served as a Diocesan Council member for a long period.

This great son of Sri Lanka left us on March 3, 1974.

Mr. Corea departed from this life without any issue to follow his foot path, but there is his cousins late Sir G.G.S. Corea’s son present Puttalam District M.P. - Harindra Corea and his brother late Charle’s son Charle’s Edirilla Corea both in Chilaw will follow suit.

May he rest in peace in the safe hands of Jesus.

Milton Weersinghe

Dr. H. W. Jayewardene, QC

It was ten years ago on April 20, 1990 Dr. H. W. Jayewardene, QC, a great advocate Sri Lanka produced left this world. He was an advocate par excellence, a Queens Counsel who appeared in almost all the important appeals in this country, a good administrator, a great teacher to many a lawyer and a pillar of strength to the legal community.

Dr. H. W. Jayewardene, QC, was born on the 3rd of November 1916 to one of Sri Lanka’s great legal dynasties. He was a brilliant student of Royal College, Colombo, where he won several awards. In the choice of a profession, he like his father, Grand father, paternal uncles and his own brothers before him, selected law. At Law College, he passed all his examinations with honours and won scholarships and the prize on the law of evidence. He apprenticed in the Chambers of the Late M. T. de S. Amarasekera, K. C. and ‘the Late N. K. Coksy, K. C. and was called to the Bar as an Advocate of the Supreme Court on the 18th of March 1941. In the field of law, he practiced both Civil and Criminal Law, but demonstrated a preference for Civil appeals. In a short span of 13 years he dominated the Appellate Courts and in recognition of his exceptional ability, silk was conferred on him at the blossoming age of 37 years.

He was the first President of the Bar Association of Sri Lanka, an organisation that he was instrumental in setting up, the President of the LAWASIA, the President of the Organisation of Professional Associations and the Vice President of the Commonwealth Law Association.

He was a perfectionist, precise in what he said and did in the Courthouse or elsewhere and he meticulously prepared for each case irrespective of the importance of the brief he was handling, and more than all exceptionally hard working. In an era where the standards of professions are diminishing, it is pertinent to note a few admirable qualities of this great practitioner. When a case was handed-over to him, and from the time the brief reached his Chamber, he saw to it that his client got the best. Working with his juniors, something he always enjoyed, teaching, moulding and more than all giving all the encouragement and blessings a junior needs in the profession. Once showing some briefs that were on the shelf, he said, " Treat all brief’s a like, some cases will bring you more money, and some may be pro deo (appearing free of charge), but your future will sometimes depend on the case you do pro deo." His Chamber was full of character and reflected his many interests. It had not only legal literature and law reports from many countries, but rare books on many other fields, such as Architecture, History, Civilization, Aesthetic Education, Buddhism and even a large sculpture of Saraswathie the goddess of knowledge, in a conspicuous place.

Dr. Jayewardene was a man of many parts. He was the Chairman, Law Commission, served in the Council of Legal Education, and on the Board of the Law Faculty of the University of Colombo. In recognition of Dr. Jayewardene’s dedication to legal learning, the University of Colombo in 1985 conferred on him the Degree of Doctor of Laws. He also served as Chairman of the Industrial Disputes Commission, Director of the Tourist Board, Chairman of the Sri Lanka Foundation Institute, member of the UN Sub-Commission on the Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities and Chairman of the Human Rights Commission. He also served as a member on The UN Commission to report on the dispute between the government of the U.S.A. and the government of Iran regarding American hostages held by Iran. He led many foreign delegations representing Sri Lanka and in fact led the delegation to Thimpu, Bhutan and New Delhi to discuss a solution to the ethnic problem. In 1985 he was a guest of the U.S.S.R Academy of Sciences and in 1986 he was invited by the Government of Australia to visit that country as a distinguished person. His visit to China as a special invitee literally laid the foundation for the magnificent Superior Courts Complex of Hulftsdorp. Today it stands as a great monument to his memory, yet only a very few know that without him there would not have been such a wonderful complex today.

He was an erudite scholar and above all a gentleman, who was willing to help anyone who came his way for assistance, be it in the legal profession or other field. The exemplary character of Dr. Jayewardene is worthy of mention for the benefit of those who were not fortunate enough to know him. Being the brother of the President of the country at that time, and a powerful advocate in the field of law with a lucrative practice, he had only one telephone, which was shared between his home and Chambers and only one car at home. He even switched off extra lights and was meticulous in his accounts. The Chamber was exceptionally methodical and so was his work in and out of Chambers. Even on Christmas day in the year 1989 he worked with his juniors in Chambers preparing carefully to oppose certain provisions of the Debt Recovery Legislation that were to be passed. It was a privilege working in such a Chamber and I cherish those memories. He has produced a host of great luminaries from his Chamber and those juniors of his are ever grateful to him for the guidance he provided. In the words of Mr. Parinda Ranasinghe Chief Justice at that time, at the Reference to the Late Dr. H. W. Jayewardene, Q.C. in the ceremonial Court at Hulftsdorp on the 21st of June 1990.

"One of the noblest and finest features of the legal profession has been the practice of the Seniors opening the doors of their chambers to juniors who, though ready, willing and able to work, have nevertheless not had the opportunity to get going. This tradition had been handed down from generation to generation; and Dr. Jayewardene was one of those stalwarts who quite readily and sincerely observed this time-honoured tradition. Even before he took silk he did, with commendable consideration and enthusiasm, take under his wing several juniors. The only consideration, which weighed with him, was the ability and the willingness of the juniors to work and work hard. Once he sized up a junior, then, in the calmness of his Chambers and during the long car-journeys to far distant courts of this island, he would explain in his inimitable fashion intricate principles relating to the various branches of the law: he would also initiate his juniors not only into the intricacies of court-craft but also din into them principles underlying the code of ethics, and the finer points of professional etiquette which guide the members of the Bar. Dr. Jayewardene took great pleasure in following closely their subsequent careers and derived immense joy and happiness at the progress they made in their chosen fields of the law. There are today, on both sides of the Bar table, persons occupying positions of trust and responsibility, who had, during their early formative years, been fortunate enough to have been guided by this eminent lawyer - gentleman in the legal firmament. They acknowledge with humility the deep debt of gratitude they owe him.... "

On completion of 49 years at the Bar, on 18th March 1990, he celebrated this event in grand style at his Estate in Veyangoda, with all his juniors, past and present, their family members, relatives and friends. It was indeed an eventful day. It is but unfortunate that he had to depart this world a month later, while on a pilgrimage to India. I was the last junior counsel in his Chamber, and having completed my apprenticeship under him, continued to work in his Chamber for almost three years. It was just two months before his sad demise, that he was a witness at my marriage. It was a privilege to be under his pupilage and I will always remember him as a great guru, and a father figure. He was a great family man, always devoted to his wife, children, and grandchildren and in laws. He never neglected his duties to the family irrespective of his innumerable other commitments. He was also a Buddhist, in its true sense. It is true that a decade has passed since his untimely death, but the services he has rendered to the legal fraternity of Sri Lanka will always remain as a glorious tribute to this great son of Sri Lanka. In my own way let me say, God Bless you Sir.

May he attain eternal bliss.

Harsha Cabral

Albert Fernando

"When the great scorer comes to write against your name, he does not write whether you won or lost, but how you played the game,"

— Gartland Rice.

Much has been written about the late Mr. Albert Fernando as a brilliant soccer player and an astute coach who brought immense fame and popularity not only to St. Benedict’s College, but to the entire nation as well. Undoubtedly Mr. Albert Fernando was a household word in his, heyday. I gladly subscribe to what has already been written about him in the dailies. I would therefore confine myself to the other side of Mr. Albert Fernando as a zealous Pastor.

Returning to India, apart from dedicating his life as a soccer coach, he devoted much of his precious time preaching the word of God, especially his newly discovered faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. He was constantly recalling to his mind the holy presence of God and reminding himself about God’s powerful and healing words-pious habits which he might have earlier acquired while at St. Benedict’s College.

"Praise the Lord", "Alleluia," "Praise be to Jesus", such lofty spiritual phrases were constantly on his lips. He used to encourage people to place their faith, trust and confidence in God. Taking cue firom Isaiah the Prophet, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor; he has sent me to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed and to proclaim the acceptable year of thc Lord," (Is. 61:1-2) Mr. Albert Fernando used to preach about healing the wounded hearts, bringing consolation to the afflicted, strengthening human relationships, touching the shattered lives of broken families thus cementing their rift, encouraging teachers in their onerous duties and helping distraught parents to solve their own problems end those of their unruly children. Such was the spiritually rewarding mission of Mr. Albert Fernando.

Towards the evening of his life, he came to visit me with his beloved wife. He spoke at length about his "rebirth" in the Spirit and how the hand of God was leading his destiny. He spoke about his spiritual encounters and the lives of thousands of people whom he had touched and in return touched by them. He was a new man full of zeal and enthusiasm for the spiritual.

On my desk there is an admirable book entitled "The Shepherd’s Staff," autographed and presented to me by Mr. Albert Fernando. It is a magnificent book of inspiration and encouragement to the weary soul. The powerful word of God which is sharper than a double - edged sword comes alive, cutting through one’s selfishness, greed, craving for material possessions and one’s lethargic slumber and callousness to the constant cries of the poor, the needy, the marginalised and the downtrodden. The word of God shapes, forms and moulds a person into a better human being. In the soul - searching words of the famous Russian author of " War and Peace," Leo Tolstoy, "I am born a man, now I must become human," is the task of every person.

"The Shepherd’s Staff’ Mr. Albert Fernando the once famous soccer coach wrote,

"You can’t lose if you stay with God’s game - plan."

"The Christian education of youth is one of the greatest responsibilities of the enlightened life itself. I salute the De La Salle Brothers all over the world for their dedicated service to youth. Let your leadership bring more realization among the teachers of the importance of the word of God."— Albert Fernando

I shall treasure that lovely book all my lifetime.

Farewell, dear friend Mr. Albert Fernando. We shall certainly meet on the beautiful heavenly shore, some day.

Dr. Baptist Croos, F.S.C
President SUNFO
Sri Lanka United Nation Friendship Organisation

News Opinion Features Business Sports