News
Marapone defends LTTE

Sri Lankan Defence Minister Tilak Marapone has defended the LTTE against charges of cease-fire violations levelled by the United States, saying he had not heard of any adverse reports against the militants after the mutually agreed indefinite truce began last month, the Press Trust of India reported yesterday.

Quoting an interview given the BBC Radio’s Sinhala service on Tuesday night, PTI said that Marapone had termed allegations of child conscription, abductions and extortion by the LTTE as "unconfirmed reports." He said the government had no evidence.

"Before the MoU, there were allegations that the LTTE was extorting money, but afterwards there have been no complaints," he said.


FEATURES | OPINION | BUSINESS | EDITORIAL | CARTOON | SPORTS