The Supreme Court yesterday advised
the Deputy Solicitor General Shavindra Fernando to prepare a
list of the Tamil citizens, of the Western Province, who were
arrested and detained in connection with the Nugegoda bomb blast
last week. The list has to be ready by December 10, 2007.
The petitioners, the Ceylon Workers’
Congress and the Centre for Policy Alternatives, were granted
leave to proceed in the fundamental rights violation
They had complained to the Court that
Tamils were arbitrarily arrested in and around Colombo after the
bomb blast. No reasons had been given for the arrests. There
hadn’t been sufficient suspicion to make these arrests.
Counsel M. A. Sumathiran, who
supported the petition, told the Court that being a Tamil should
not be a reason for arrest and detention. He said that around
2,000 persons had been arrested by the Police.
Those who made considerations to the
Police were released. Around 300 are being held in the Boosa
The Deputy Solicitor General Shavindra
Fernando said that 83 persons had been released up to yesterday.
The Police was only trying to trace the terrorists.
He said the authorities never told any
Officer-in-Charge to arrest Tamils. The authorities wanted the
OICs to be vigilant of LTTE suspects in and around Colombo.
The Court said the petitioners are
entitled to visit the detainees according to the arrangements
available. The question of continued detention will be
The State is to decide on long-term
detention orders by Decmber 13 and will have to notify the Court
on December 14, 2007
These petitioners will be called again
on December 10 and December 14, 2007.
M. A. Sumathiran appeared with Viran
Corea for the petitioners. The Deputy Solicitor General,
Shavindra Fernando appeared with Senior State Counsel Parinda
Ranasinghe for the Attorney General.
The Court allowed the respondents, the
Defence Minister and a few others to file their objection.
The Bench comprised the Chief Justice
Sarath N. Silva Justice N. G.Amaratunga and Justice J. de S