HOME

Three cheers for Lt. Gen. Sarath Fonseka!

Every right thinking citizen of Sri Lanka, who read the editorial of ‘The Island’ newspaper of 8th instant captioned - "Why bay for Sarath Fonseka’s blood?" will loudly applaud this well written script.

Facts are facts, and they are stubborn. LTTE started their killing spree with the SLFP, Jaffna Mayor, in Jaffna itself.

Since Doraiappa’s killing, we have had several Army Commanders. All of them, instead of a "forward march" had been "marking time". It may be that they did not get the nod from their respective Prime Ministers or Presidents.

Whatever said and done, one officer who was keen to crush the LTTE was General Denzil Kobbekaduwa. Unfortunately, he was killed in a bomb explosion, along with Brigadier Wijaya Wimalaratne in Jaffna.

During the famous Vadamarachchci attack in 1986, Bandula Seneviratne, T. Bansa Jayah and the writer were Assistant Superintendent’s of Police, and a message was received from Police Headquarters, ordering the three of us to go to Vadamarahchci with about 30 men.

This was to authorise the detention orders of suspects taken in to custody the by the three armed services. Bansa Jayah and Seneviratne had to go to Point Pedro and KKS whilst I had to cover the VVT camp. Denzil Kobbekaduwa, Wijaya Wimalaratne and a host of senior army officers, who were stationed at VVT camp, were getting ready for the attack, when Indian aeroplanes approached Jaffna and starting dropping of food crates.

Within two hours, a message had been received from President J. R. Jayewardene to stop the war.

General Kobbekaduwa, who was prepared for the attack, and with a sigh of despair, said "I know the area like the back of my hand and we could have finished them."

Other than this officer, the only other person who waged a war against the LTTE was Lt. General Sarath Fonseka. At the height of war he visited all the camps, spoke to his men and encouraged them.

Whatever said and done, brilliant soldier haswon the war. About 98% of it is over, the other 2% will definitely be finished before long.

Every Sri Lankan must be grateful for all those who took part in this war and specially to Lt. Gen. Sarath Fonseka for leading from the front.

Well done General!

Ananda Jayasena,
Boralesgamuwa.

Google
www island.lk


Copyright©Upali Newspapers Limited.


Hosted by

 

Upali Newspapers Limited, 223, Bloemendhal Road, Colombo 13, Sri Lanka, Tel +940112497500