Pyongyang’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the country "will be compelled to take additional measures for self-defense, including nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests" unless the Council apologizes immediately.
The Council adopted a statement earlier this month denouncing the North’s April 5 rocket launch and calling for tightening sanctions.
North Korea conducted its first-ever nuclear test in 2006.
Wednesday’s threat came days after the North said it had begun reprocessing spent nuclear fuel rods at its Yongbyon nuclear complex - a move aimed at harvesting weapons-grade plutonium.
North Korea has claimed that the U.N. rebuke is unfair because the rocket liftoff was a peaceful satellite launch. But the U.S. and others believe it was a test of long-range missile technology.
Under a 2007 six-nation deal, North Korea agreed to disable its main nuclear complex in Yongbyon north of Pyongyang in return for 1 million tons of fuel oil and other concessions. In June 2008, North Korea blew up the cooling tower there in a dramatic show of its commitment to denuclearization.
But disablement came to halt a month later as Pyongyang wrangled with Washington over how to verify its past atomic activities. The latest round of talks, in December, failed to push the process forward.
The negotiations involve China, Japan, the two Koreas, Russia and the U.S.