SYDNEY (AP) - Former Australia coach John Buchanan has admitted to having discussions with the England and Wales Cricket Board about a consultancy role but has denied he’ll have any involvement in the upcoming Ashes series.
Buchanan won three of four Ashes series as Australia coach, losing in 2005 - the last time the series was held in England - before recovering to guide the team to a 5-0 sweep in 2007-07 and later retiring from the national job.
British media speculated last week that the timing of Buchanan’s meetings with the ECB in Birmingham could mean he was ready to defect ahead of the Ashes, which starts July 8 at Cardiff.
"That is not true," Buchanan was quoted as saying Monday in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper. "I did drop in and see some cricket officials in England ... but it was a fleeting visit."
Buchanan said there was "nothing concrete" about any work with England in the near future.
"There have been no negotiations, and nothing about the Ashes," he said.
Buchanan, a former school teacher and university lecturer, has a corporate coaching business and has also done advisory work for Cricket Australia and reportedly for the ECB.
Australia won 15 consecutive tests after Buchanan replaced former test opener Geoff Marsh as coach in 1999, part of a world record 16-test winning streak.
Other highlights of his tenure as Australia coach between 1999 and 2007 was defending the World Cup title twice without losing a match.
Had a 76.9 percent winning record as a test coach.
Buchanan said picking a winner for the 2009 Ashes series was "very hard to predict."
"I just think it lines up to be a very tense and exciting series at this stage," he said. "Both teams are a bit fragile around the edges due to changes and other things that have been going on that are a bit peripheral to the teams.
"Those things can be a distraction to both sides."
The 56-year-old Buchanan is due to negotiate a possible contract extension with the Indian Premier League club the Kolkata Knight Riders.