HOME

Sanath vows to fight on

With his future as an international cricketer in serious doubt, veteran Sanath Jayasuriya vowed not to give in, saying his international cricket career is far from over. Members of the national selection committee, together with skipper Kumar Sangakkara, said on Thursday that they didn’t believe the 40-year-old has a future as an opener.

The selectors also said that there’s no guarantee that Jayasuriya will feature in all matches of the upcoming ODI series against India and his participation depended solely on conditions and the requirements of the team.

"I am not going to give up. I will keep fighting and the series against India provides me with an opportunity and I am waiting for that opportunity," the left-hander, into the 20th year of his international career told ‘The Island’.

"No players’ place is guaranteed in the team. There aren’t free places available in the side and you have to keep fighting. Not just for me, it’s applicable to all the players. You have to consistently perform for the team," Jayasuriya added.

Jayasuriya lost his place in the side last year as well, but was called back to the side ahead of the Asia Cup owing to his good form in the Indian Premier League T-20 tournament and on that occasion he blasted twin hundreds in the tournament, including one in the final, where the rest of batting, with the exception of Tillekeratne Dilshan, failed miserably. Sri Lanka went on to win that tournament.

He also hit a hundred early this year against India and became the oldest player to score a hundred in an ODI just four months before his 40th birthday. (RC)

Google
www island.lk


Copyright©Upali Newspapers Limited.


Hosted by

 

Upali Newspapers Limited, 223, Bloemendhal Road, Colombo 13, Sri Lanka, Tel +940112497500