Bridge on the River Kwai to be restored under hydropower Project




by Maheesha Mudugamuwa

Power and Energy Ministry will restore the bridge in Kitulgala in Sabaragamuwa Province which was used in the famous film The Bridge on the River Kwai to its original state under the USD 85 million Broadlands Hydro-power Project (BHP).


Around 85 percent of the project is financed by China and the remaining 15 percent by the government. It is expected to be completed by the year 2017.


The BHP would generate 126 GW hours of power annually.


Power and Energy Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi said that the Kithulgala area would be developed as a tourist hub.


During a discussion held at the Yatiyantota Pradeshiya Sabha on Sunday (25) to discuss the progress and development of the infrastructure facilities in the Kithulgala area under the BHP with Telecom and Information Technology Minister Ranjith Siyambalapitiya, Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) Chairman W. B Ganegala and other top officials she said that through the BHP the government wanted the people of the area to enjoy more benefits besides electricity.


Minister Wanniarachchi said that a hydro-power museum would be set up concurrently in the area while the access roads to the hydro power station would be developed.


The Broadlands project is the last plant in the Laxapana cascade power station complex on the Kelani River system launched 50 years ago.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...