Master Blaster denies JVP allegation
Ruhuna University attack June 4, 2014, 12:00 pm
University to re-open soon with security for undergrads - VC Police refuse to record complaint – Student Council
By Dasun Edirisinghe
Deputy Minister of Posts Sanath Jayasuriya yesterday denied any involvement in the alleged attack on Ruhuna University undergraduates during a protest by villagers there on Monday.
Responding to the JVP’s claim that one time ‘Master Blaster’ who earlier hammered leather balls was now breaking heads of innocent undergraduates, the star cricketer said that he would always maintain his dignity and would never get involved in such acts.
The JVP and undergraduates claimed that thugs led by Deputy Minister Jayasuriya and UPFA Provincial Councillors had forced themselves into the university premises and attacked them during a protest on Monday. The Ruhuna University’s main complex in Wellamadama, Matara has been closed indefinitely as students occupied the administrative building in fear of further attacks the following day.
"There was a protest by villagers demanding the holding of the Deyata Kirula exhibition in Wellamadama area and I went there as the MP of the area on that day," Jayasuriya said, adding that he had left the venue after a receiving a petition from the villagers to be handed over to President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Jayasuriya said that he had stayed there only for 10 minutes and left for Colombo to attend UPFA group meeting with the people’s request to the President to hold the Deyata Kirula exhibition in their village.
"There is no truth about politically motivated thugs attacking innocent students as nobody was injured and there has been no complaint lodged with the police, the deputy minister said.
Jayasuriya said that undergraduates harboured a grudge with villagers as they wanted the exhibition, while the students were opposed to it.
"Wellamadama, Meddawatta, Welewatta and Kotuwegoda are linked to each other. I would have been happy to have Deyata Kirula exhibition in that area as I also come from there" he said.
However, Secretary of the Students Council Ashan Vijayalath said that four students had been injured in the attack but the presence of attackers around the university had prevented them being rushed to hospital.
He said that police, too, had refused to record their complaints twice.
Vice Chancellor of the University Prof. Gamini Senanayake said that the Wellamadama complex would be reopened soon with adequate security for students. "We are still reviewing the situation and have not decided on a date."
Do you like to read online news?
No breaking news available.