Large number of heroin pellets in stomach:Life of drug mule in danger



By Norman Palihawadane


Condition of a Pakistani national arrested at the Bandaranaike International Airport on his arrival after swallowing capsules filled with heroin was critical, Police Narcotics Bureau officials said.


Police Narcotics Bureau operatives administering laxatives on the youth said that he had not emitted a single pellet of heroin and there was a danger some of those pellets bursting in his stomach causing his death.


The 21-year-old arrived from Karachchi on Friday night was taken in suspicion and it was revealed that he was visiting Sri Lanka for the first time. As he failed to respond to queries raised by BIA officials, the authorities decided to scan him. An X-ray scan showed his intestine contained dozens of heroin pellets.


Police said the suspect was admitted to the Negambo Hospital to remove the drugs and hospital authorities administered a laxative. The suspects was later produced before the Negombo Magistrate Court and remanded till June 4 on a detention order. "The youth is a drug mule but not an experienced one. He is in critical condition and we are not sure how much heroin he had swallowed and what the end result will be," a senior official of the PNB told The Island yesterday.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...