Countrywide power outage: Probe underway



By Maheesha Mudugamuwa and Shiran Ranasinghe


Power and Renewable Energy Minister Ranjith Siyambalapitiya told The Island that a special investigation was underway to establish the cause of Thursday’s countrywide power outage.


Yesterday’s outage was the second countrywide power failure within five months.


However, both Minister Siyambalapitiya and the CEB asserted that lightning and resultant technical faults had caused the power failure.


The power failed at approximately 2.00 pm and gradual restoration of services resumed after about two hours.


CEB Chairman Anura Wijepala told The Island that the electricity supply had been partially restored in several provinces with in two hours. He said that power could be restored fully within few hours.


CEB Director General Eng. M. C. Wickremasekara attiributed the power failiure to the breakdown in the 33000v transmission line from Laxapana to Kolonnawa via Polpitiya.


Meanwhile, the Power and Renewable Energy Minister Siyambalapitiya yesterday evening called an emergency meeting with the CEB Chairman, CEB Director General and the Secretary to the Ministry to inquire into the matter.


The CEB Engineers’ Union (CEB EU) said that there had been nine countrywide power failures from 2006 to 2010. Sri Lanka experienced last power outage last September.


 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...