Acceptance of bids for Rs. 10 bn shocked market – CB Additional Director



article_image

Senior Additional Director of Central Bank S. Fernando leaving the Presidential Commission investigating the treasury bond scandal yesterday after giving evidence . Pic by Jude Denzil Pathiraja


By Shyam Nuwan Ganewatta and Sarath Dharmasena


Senior Additional Director of the Central Bank S. Fernando testifying before the Presidential Commission of Inquiry probing the alleged bond scam said yesterday that the market had been shocked when bids to the tune of Rs 10 billion were accepted in keeping with then Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran’s order on February 27, 2015.


Fernando said she had found the market reaction from the telephone calls received by the front desk of the Central Bank Public Debt Department.


Fernando’s evidence was led by Senior State Counsel Dr Avanthi Perera.


Fernando said she had seen former Governor Mahendran walking into the Public Debt Department and was surprised as no other governor had done so previously.


Commission member Supreme Court Justice Prasanna Jayawardena: Former Governor Mahendran visited the Public Debt Department on February 27, 2015 again around 12.00 noon. Who accompanied him?


Witness: Two Deputy governors.


Justice Jayawardena: Who were they?


Witness: Dr Weerasinghe and Ananda Silva


Justice Jayawardena: Did they walk into office of the Superintendent of Public Debt?


Witness: I cannot recollect.


Justice Jayawardena: According to what you remember they stood outside the department.


Witness: Yes


Witness: I cannot remember whether the two earlier mentioned Deputy governors, Governor Mahendran, Dr. Azsim, Seneviratne, my Head of Department Srimalee Fernando, Muthugala were present there.


Justice Jayawardena: How long did their discussion last?


Witness: Around five to ten minutes.


The Commission will resume its sittings on Monday at 10.00 a.m.


 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...