Judge’s wife seeks justice from HRC for their child

By Saman Indrajith

Judges of various courts have decided to seek the involvement of higher authorities in government to sort out the problem of finding schools for their children.

They are being transferred from their respective courts once every three years and they find their children too have to shift from school to school and when it comes to Grade One admission, they find it nearly impossible to find schools for their children.

As judges are bound by ethics in their profession they are not entitled to form trade unions to agitate for their rights, but a judge’s wife who is also an attorney at law has launched a campaign by lodging a complaint with the Human Rights Commission naming the Director of National Schools of the Ministry of Education as a respondent.

The mother, attorney-at-law Dinithi Kariyawasam told The Island that her husband, who was serving as the Magistrate of Moneragala, had been informed of his transfer to the Balapitiya Magistrate’s Court in November last year. "By that time our child had secured admission to a national school in Monergala. So, in November we sent an appeal to the Director, National Schools informing him of the transfer and seeking his help to find a national school for our child. Now, three months have elapsed but our child is still at home. We know that many judges have faced the same problem. I have lodged a complaint with the Human Rights Commission (complaint number 447/18) and hope to file a FR case this week. Our child has been deprived of his right to education because his father is a judge."

Our attempts to contact Director of National Schools were in vain.

Media Spokesman for the Ministry of Education, Kalpa Gayan Gunaratne said there was a problem pertaining to finding schools for the children of judges who received transfers. "The normal procedure is that they have to submit an appeal with transfer documents to the Director National Schools. It is the duty of the Ministry to find schools for the children of public servants receiving transfers. But the problem is that the Ministry cannot have those children admitted to schools of their parents’ choice. We can find schools with vacancies, but parents do not like them. For example, when a judge receives a transfer to Colombo, she or he would come to the Ministry seeking to admit his or her child to the Royal College. That is not possible in most cases. We are doing our best to sort out this problem."


animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...