Johnston denies opposition allegationAugust 10, 2012, 9:34 pm
By Lal Gunesekera
Cooperatives and Internal Trade Minister Johnston Fernando yesterday claimed that the Government had not reduced the prices of certain essential consumer items in view of the forthcoming Provincial Council elections, as alleged by the opposition, but would continue to reduce prices whenever possible.
Minister Fernando said that the objective of the Government was to make essential food items freely available to consumers without any shortage and at affordable prices.
If traders attempted to create an artificial shortage of essential food items, he would intervene in the matter and make the items available to the consumers, the Minister said.
He said that he had already issued instructions to the Chairman of the Consumer Affairs Authority (CAA) Rumy Marzook to take immediate action against traders who attempted to create an artificial shortage and jack up prices and to take steps to stabilize the market prices.
Fernando said that consumers could purchase any essential food item from Lanka Stathosa outlets and should have no fear of any shortage or price increase.
What’s Sri Lanka’s best overseas Test win?
Last Updated May 23 2013 | 10:49 pm