Public advised to use only approved cosmetics, drugsAugust 10, 2012, 9:36 pm
By Dilanthi Jayamanne
The National Cosmetic Devices and Drug Authority (NCDDA) yesterday cautioned the public to ensure that all cosmetics and drugs they use were registered with it prior to usage. This was due to the death of a 60-year-old in Kahawatte, Opathawatta. The Health Ministry said that the man had died of an allergic reaction to a type of hair dye he had used.
The Spokesman for the Health Ministry said that the incident had taken place last Monday (06) when the victim had applied a henna type of hair dye in the afternoon and stepped out of the house exposing himself to the sun. He had felt dizzy after about ten minutes and collapsed. He had died on admission to the Kahawatte Hospital.
However, the NCDDA has not been able to retrieve the hair dye which had been used by the victim as yet.He said that some people were vulnerable to allergic reactions when using this type of hair dye. An allergy test could be done prior to using the cosmetic by applying it on a small area of the skin. Signs of an allergic reaction would be itching, red patches or a rash appearing a few minutes after application.
The public should also ensure the registration of drugs and cosmetics with the NCCD as the registration number had to be mentioned on the box, container or wrapper. Cosmetics and drugs were released to the market only after sample testing. A sample test was carried out when a product is introduced into the Sri Lankan market for the first time, he said. The spokesman also said that the registration was only a precautionary measure of ensuring the quality of the product. However people could be allergic to certain products.
What’s Sri Lanka’s best overseas Test win?
Last Updated May 22 2013 | 10:58 pm