Assault case against Malaka, Rehan to be taken up todaySeptember 20, 2012, 10:18 pm
by Madura Ranwala
The Colombo Fort Magistrate Court will take up the case involving the assault of an army major today, following a request made by lawyers for the main suspects, Malaka Silva and Rehan Wijeyaratne. It was earlier scheduled to be held on September 24.
When The Island contacted Police spokesman Ajith Rohana, he said, the lawyers appearing on be half of the suspects, Malaka Silva and Rehana Wijeyaratne, who allegedly assaulted army Major, had made a request to the court to call up the case today, so the court had directed OIC of the Slave Island Police and officials of CCD, to appear before it to make submissions.
On Monday, attorney-at-law Dinesh Dodangoda appearing for the army major submitted a sworn affidavit stating that Malaka Silva and Rehan Wijeyaratne had not assaulted the major, but the other five suspects were yet to be presented for an identification parade on Oct. 01 from remand custody at Welikada.
The victim stated in the affidavit that the chain believed to have been robbed on that day by the duo had been found inside his house.
Asked whether the army major would be in trouble, military spokesman Ruwan Wanigasoriya said that the major had been on duty for sure as he was involved in security duties in the Colombo city.
But, he said that the court of inquiry would determine whether he was on duty at the right time at the right place and said that he would not comment further as the inquiry was being conducted.
What’s Sri Lanka’s best overseas Test win?
Last Updated May 22 2013 | 10:58 pm