Improvised swing brings death to 13-year-old


By Gamini Bandara Illangatillake

Maskeliya correspondent

A 13-year-old girl died of strangulation when her neck got entangled in a swing she had made of a coir rope, used for hanging clothes to dry.

The deceased, Dilani Priyadharshini, was a student of the Patana Sinhala Maha Vidyalaya.

The victim’s mother was looking for her to send some tea to her husband who was taking part in a shramadana in a nearby locality when she was found unconscious with her neck stuck in the swing.

She was rushed to the Kotagala hospital but pronounced dead on admission.

The victim’s father is a conductor of a private bus company operating on the Hatton-Talawakele route.

The inquest was held at the Kotagala hospital by the Inquirer into sudden deaths and the body was dispatched to the Nawalapitiya hospital for the post-mortem.

animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...