Inventor’s bro blamed for BMICH fire



By Chaminda Silva


Saturday’s fire which destroyed a temporary structure housing about 270 new inventions within the BMICH premises had been caused when the elder brother of an inventor attempted to light the petrol/electric rice cooker invented by his younger brother who was unable to be present at the opening day of the exhibition, as he had to go for an interview, investigations into the fire have revealed.


The Colombo Crimes Division was yesterday scheduled to produce the young suspect from the Ja-Ela area before the Fort Magistrate for causing the fire.


The suspect’s younger brother had developed the new rice cooker using a type of motor used to aerate fish tanks and thin pipes. Before sending him to the exhibition to demonstrate the new invention, the younger brother had taught him how it was done.When the elder brother had first attempted to light the rice cooker at the exhibition, the flame had immediately gone out. Thereafter, without realizing that petrol was continuing to flow into the cooker he had lit another match, which caused the fire.


The youth, too, suffered serious burns on one of his legs while trying to put out the fire.


Further investigations are being conducted by Inspector Neville de Silva on the instructions of CCD Assistant Superintendent Wedasinghe.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...