No trace of eight missing fishermen



By Chaminda Silva


There had been no trace, up to late evening yesterday, of the eight fishermen, who went missing when their boats were capsized by the cyclone ‘Lehar’ on Thursday.


A total of 16 Lankan fishermen, in three craft, had been caught in the cyclone and eight of them had been rescued by other fishing craft, about 450 nautical miles off Trincomalee. The rescued fishermen would be brought ashore within a couple of days, Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Minister Dr. Rajitha Senaratne told The Island yesterday.


The minister said that the ministry had alerted Sri Lanka Navy, Indian Naval and Coast Guard services and all the merchant vessels plying in the international waters on Saturday about the missing fishermen.


Dr. Senaratne said that once the rescued fishermen were brought ashore they would be asked about their missing colleagues and future course of action that could be taken thereafter decided on after consulting the Fisheries Department.


The fishing craft that had been hit by the cyclone were multi-day fishing boats ‘Ceylon -7’ and ‘Priyachamal’ launched from Devundara, and ‘Prasangika’ launched from the Negombo Fisheries Harbour.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...