New AG: CC’s role limited to endorsing president’s choiceFebruary 11, 2016, 10:34 pm
The Constitutional Council (CC) has only endorsed a presidential recommendation in appointing Jayantha Jayasuriya as the Attorney General. President Maithripala Sirisena recommended him for the post and sought the CC’s approval. Earlier he had submitted three names expecting the CC to pick one of them, but one half of the CC refused to do so, reminding the President that the onus was on him to recommend a name, according to sources.
Labour and Trade Union Relations Minister John Seneviratne (SLFP), Justice and Buddha Sasana Minister Wijeyadasa Rajapaksa (UNP), Opposition Leader R. Sampanthan (TNA), former Attorney General Shibly Aziz, PC and Sarvodaya leader A.T. Ariyaratne asserted that in accordance with the 19th Amendment to the Constitution the CC couldn’t make a decision.
The remaining CC members are Speaker Karu Jayasuriya, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, Megapolis Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, Vijitha Herath and Dr Radhika Coomaraswamy.Read More...
- Randy cook in the Soup
- Bombay stock market crashes 807 points,its lowest in 21 months!
- Deer hunters up a gum tree
- People’s Bank awards top achievers of the G.C.E. A/Level
- Nepal PM Oli to visit New Delhi on Feb 19
- Petrol, diesel prices can be reduced to Rs. 52 and Rs. 42 respectively – JVP
- Tokyo Cement Super Quiz: Finalists from Kalutara preparing for final battle
- South Asia's first trans-country river-linking project to provide water to India and cheap electricity to Nepal
- Government to introduce post graduate course for Medical Nutrition this year
- Govt ready to obtain views of opposition regarding proposed pact with India
- Police arrest warden of children’s home and her husband
- Await Hot News
- Await Breaking News
- More funds for Prez, Foreign Ministry
- Govt considers including iris recognition in new IDs
Do you like to read online news?
Last Updated Feb 11 2016 | 08:54 pm